This is Leo, my dear baby boy. We got him when he was only six weeks old. And now, he is almost four. He has brought me and my husband so much joy and has taught us how to be responsible and loving. But the most important thing that he has taught me was that happiness is easy to find. Leo gets happy when he knows that we are home. He gets happy when we give him water and treats. He gets happy when we play with him. He is always happy in the present. He is home alone most of the day when we are at work but he never holds it against us. His happiness comes from his love for us. It does not have any conditions. It is simple.
As humans, it seems as if we always work towards happiness, always strive to obtain the ultimate goal of being happy. Our happiness is often dependent on other conditions. It is either “I’ll be happy if I get a promotion”, “I’ll be happy if I win this game”, “I’ll be happy if I buy this car or this big house”, or “I’ll be happy if this person loves me back”. Happiness should come from within. It shouldn’t be complicated and it definitely shouldn’t be dependent upon external factors or conditions. It should be present – the moment of NOW. It shouldn’t be about the past or the future. It should be about you, about who you are now, and about what you are doing. So let’s go and capture your happiness!
- Don’t dwell on the past. Be present, be here and now.
- Appreciate the little things in life.
- Focus on doing what you love.
- Focus on spending time with the people you love.
- Love yourself.
- Get rid of expectations that you cannot control.
- Accept life and people as they are.
- Be compassionate to others.
- Smile intentionally.
- Most importantly, keep life simple and remember that happiness is a choice!